Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Soln (Lumigan Eye Drops) 0.03% w/v belongs to a group of drugs called prostamides, which are synthetic structural analogs of prostaglandin which is used on its own or together with other medicines to treat an increased pressure in the eye.
Bimatoprost may also be used to treat hypotrichosis, a condition where abnormal patterns of hair loss of the eyelashes is present.
Drug = Bimatoprost
Strength = 0.03% w/v
Manufacturer = Allargan
Quantity per sleeve = 3 Eye drops (for the price quoted)
How To Use Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Soln (Lumigan Eye Drops) 0.03% w/v
This medicine is best used in the evening.
To use the eye drop solution:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before using the eye drop.
- Shake the bottle well before using.
- Tilt your head slightly backwards. With the index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Look upward and instill the required number of drops inside the lower eyelid.
- Close your eyes and do not blink for the next 30 seconds.
- Wipe any excess liquid from your face with a clean tissue.
- Replace and tighten the cap of the bottle.
For the treatment of hypotrichosis, follow these steps:
- Ensure the face is clean before applying Bimatoprost.
- Using the provided sterile applicator, apply this medicine evenly along the skin of the upper eyelid margin at the base of the eyelashes. Do not use brushes or any other applicator.
- Use a tissue or an absorbent cloth to blot any excess solution which may run off outside the upper eyelid margin.
- Repeat for the opposite eyelid margin using a new sterile applicator.
- Do not reuse an applicator.
Do not allow the tip of the dropper of this medicine to touch your eyes, eyelids or any other surface. Recap the eye drop immediately after use. If the eye drop becomes contaminated, it could cause an infection in your eyes.
If you have been given any other eye drops or medicines to be used together with Bimatoprost, wait for at least 5 minutes before using the other medicine.
Do not share your eye drop with anyone else.
Use Bimatoprost eye drop solution exactly as directed by your doctor or according to the instructions on the label. Do not use more or less than instructed by your doctor.
Dosage of Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Soln (Lumigan Eye Drops) 0.03% w/v
Ocular hypertension; Open-angle glaucoma: As 0.01% or 0.03% solution: Instill 1 drop into the affected eye(s) once daily at bedtime.
Hypotrichosis of eyelashes: As 0.03% solution: Apply 1 drop evenly to each eye along the skin of the upper eyelid at the base of eyelashes once daily at bedtime.
Missed Dose of Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Soln (Lumigan Eye Drops) 0.03% w/v
If you often forget to take your medicine, let your doctor and pharmacist know.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your usual dosing schedule.
Do not double a dose under any circumstances.
If you think you may have used Bimatoprost more than the usual dose, please seek medical help immediately.
Contraindications of Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Soln (Lumigan Eye Drops) 0.03% w/v
There are no known contraindications for Bimatoprost.
Side Effects of Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Soln (Lumigan Eye Drops) 0.03% w/v
Bimatoprost may have the following side effects:
- Ocular pruritus
- Irritation and burning sensation
- Conjunctival hyperemia
- Dry eye symptoms
- Blurred vision
- Periorbital erythema
- Increased lacrimation
- Skin hyperpigmentation and discoloration
- Growth and darkening of eyelashes
- Eyelid edema
- Irritation and pruritus
- Periorbital and lid changes resulting in deepening of eyelid sulcus
- Abnormal liver function test
Warnings of Bimatoprost Ophthalmic Soln (Lumigan Eye Drops) 0.03% w/v
Do not use Bimatoprost in people with the following conditions:
- Eye infection or any other eye disorder
- Low heart rate
- Low blood pressure
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
Always notify your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal tonics such as traditional Chinese medicines, supplements and medicines that you buy without a prescription.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Bimatoprost.
How Does It Work?
Bimatoprost is a synthetic prostamide analogue that works by reducing the intraocular pressure by increasing the outflow of aqueous humour. It also increases the percent and duration of hair in the growth phase.
Bimatoprost is used to treat the following conditions:
- Ocular hypertension
- Open-angle glaucoma
- Hypotrichosis of eyelashes
Special Precautions and Connected Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Patient with active intraocular inflammation
- Aphakic patient
- Pseudophakic patient with torn posterior lens capsule
- Risk factor for macular edema
- History of herpes simplex, or uveitis/iritis
- Avoid alcohol
- Store between 2-25°C.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use 4 weeks after first opening.
- Do not use Bimatoprost that is expired or out of expiry date.