Levocetirizine Hcl (CETCIP-L) 5 mg tablet is a potent histamine H1 receptor inhibitor that is used to treat various symptoms of allergies and to alleviate watery eyes, runny nose, sneezing, and itching. Each tablet contains 5 mg of Levocetirizine hydrochloride as the active ingredient.
Drug = Levocetirizine
Strength = 5 mg
How to take
Maybe taken with or without food. Best to taken before going to bed.
Do not take more than the prescribed dose unless instructed by your physician.
Dosage of Levocetirizine Hcl (CETCIP-L) 5 mg Tablet
Adult: 2.5-5 mg once a day in the evening.
Missed Dose of Levocetirizine Hcl (CETCIP-L) 5 mg Tablet
In the event that the dose is missed, take the tablet immediately and skip the dose for the day. Resume taking the medication the next day at the same time.
Inform your doctor for dose readjustment.
Overdose of Levocetirizine Hcl (CETCIP-L) 5 mg Tablet
If you have taken more than the recommended dose of Levocetirizine diHCl, observe yourself for symptoms and if so, seek help immediately without delay.
Symptoms of overdose may include any of the following:
- Restlessness (children)
People with the following medical conditions should not take Levocetirizine HCl:
- End stage renal disease patients on maintenance hemodialysis
Side Effects of Levocetirizine Hcl (CETCIP-L) 5 mg Tablet
- Levocetirizine HCl may have the following side effects:
- Neurological symptoms (CNS function depression, headache, sleep disturbances, increased sleeping time)
- Itchiness all over the body
- Dryness of the mouth
- GI symptoms (diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pain)
- Episodes of fever
- Upper respiratory tract symptoms (nasopharyngitis, cough, nosebleeding)
Do not take Levocetirizine HCl with the following medicines:
Inform your physician if you are taking medications which are off label drugs and vitamin supplements that can be bought over the counter.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Levocetirizine HCl.
How Does It Work?
The active form of cetirizine is levocetirizine. It competes selectively in the gastrointestinal tract, blood vessels, and respiratory tract for histamine receptor sites on effector cells. Histamine is prevented from binding to the receptor and induces smooth muscle contraction, increased vascular endothelium permeability, and activation of cough receptors.
Levocetirizine HCl is used to treat the following conditions:
- Allergic reactions to food and drugs
Special Precautions and Connected Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Patient with history of urinary retention
- Spinal cord lesion
- Prostatic hyperplasia
- Patients with a history of epilepsy
- Mild to moderate renal impairment
- Pregnant and Lactating mothers
- Store between 20-25°C.
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use Levocetirizine HCl after the expiry date