In order to provide a satisfactory and accurate answer to the question Is Sildenafil safe to use, it’s prudent to know everything that’s in place before even thinking about taking sildenafil tablets. We all know that or should know that Sildenafil is the active ingredient of the brand name drug Viagra. If you don’t well, you know now so let’s get stuck in and know everything about this wonder ED drug.
Erectile dysfunction and treatments available
Sildenafil is used as the magical cure for erectile dysfunction, a condition where a man finds himself unable to achieve and maintain a full erection of the penis for a satisfactory sexual experience. ED is the short name given to erectile dysfunction.
Sildenafil tablets comes in 25mg, 50mg, and 100mg tablet doses with the 50mg tablet as the standard dose for treating ED. This standard dose may be altered to increase or reduce potency depending on the seriousness of the erectile dysfunction.
This is to say that if the 50mg dose is not sufficiently effective, your doctor may increase the dosage to 100mg but if it’s too potent, the doctor may recommend a reduced dosage to the 25mg tablet. It’s also useful to know that by itself, Sildenafil will not cause an erection or maintain it.
The penis has to be stimulated before the Sildenafil, which can remain in your bloodstream for up to 8 or 10 hours, can take over and drive blood to the penis to cause an erection and maintain that erection until an orgasm is reached. The process will then begin again as long as the Sildenafil remains in the body.
Know these before taking Sildenafil tablets
While many studies have proved that Sildenafil absolutely safe to use on its own, It’s definitely not safe if you decide to take Sildenafil only on the basis that it can cure your erectile dysfunction.
Why? Because there are many other things you should know in your own life and outside of it that may determine or affect your life if you finally decide to take Sildenafil to cure your impotence or erectile dysfunction.
Don’t take Sildenafil tablets if:
- You are allergic in any way to Sildenafil or any ingredients of Sildenafil tablets.
- You have ever suffered from vision loss from a disease known as non-arteritic anterior ischaemic optic neurophathy or NAION, during your life.
- You are suffering from an inherited rare eye condition such as retinitis pigmentosa
- You recently had a stroke or heart attack.
- You have low blood pressure.
- A serious liver or heart condition
- You are taking the drug riociguat to treat your blood pressure. The drug is taken for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension which is high pressure of the lungs. It is also taken as treatment for acute very serious thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension which involves high blood pressure in the lungs caused by blood clots.
- You are taking any nitiric oxide donors such as nitrite or “poppers”, because taking Sildenafil with “poppers” can also lead to a critical drop in your blood pressure.
- You are taking medication of nitrites because when Sildenafil is taken in combination with nitrates can also lead to a potentially dangerous fall in your blood pressure will. Usually, nitrates are taken to treat angina or chest pains so you should tell your doctor if you have been taking nitrates to treat pains in your chest. If you have any doubts about this matter, discuss the problem with your doctor or pharmacist.
It’s a must to inform and discuss the following issues with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before taking Sildenafil tablets. Actually you should not be taking Sildenafil tablets if you:
- Are a woman because you won’t receive any special benefits from taking Sildenafil tablets.
- Are not suffering from an erectile dysfunction condition
- Are taking other medications for pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) that also contain Sildenafil and you should also avoid using any other similar PDE5 inhibitors with your other medication.
- Are already using any other oral or home remedies for your erectile dysfunction condition, you should not take Sildenafil tablets.
- Feel a sudden loss of your eye vision, you should cease taking your Sildenafil tablets and quickly contact your doctor about your problem.
- Are suffering from a bleeding problem such as haemophilia or ulcer of the stomach
- Constantly suffer from heart problems. In this case, your doctor should shed light on whether or not you should engage in sexual activities.
- Suffer from deformity of the penis known as Peyronie’s Disease
- Are suffering from sickle cell anemia (an abnormal condition affecting your red blood cells), multiple myeloma (cancer of the bone marrow) or leukemia (cancer of blood cells)
Nourishment and Sildenafil tablets
You may take Sildenafil tablets with or without food but you should know that if you eat a heavy meal during the day or evening, it will take longer for Sildenafil to kick in and achieve an erection which you want to achieve.
Alcohol has the ability to interfere with your ability to get an erection. It’s therefore wise not to drink too much alcohol before taking your Sildenafil tablets.
Fertility, pregnancy and breast feeding
In the case for women and the taking of Sildenafil, we mentioned earlier that Sildenafil was not meant for women to use as medication, simply because they are a treatment for erectile dysfunction, a condition that’s absent in women.
It would be different if Sildenafil tablet could also treat other diseases that infect people such as hepatitis C, cancer or measles but for now, sildenafil only treats ED.
Mobility on wheels
Taking Sildenafil tablets can suddenly affect your vision causing vision loss and it can also induce dizziness. It’s therefore important that you know how your body responds to Sildenafil tablets before you decide to go driving or to use machinery on your property.
Age does matter
It’s also very important for you to know that Sildenafil should not be given to persons under 18 years of age.
You will realize that everything that has been said in this article provides very important information which you should know before you decide for sure that to take your Sildenafil medication. It spells out all the different types of situations you need to know before you take you medication and ensures that you have all the information you need to know to answer the question: Is Sildenafil Safe to Use?