Isotretinoin (Accufine 40) 40 mg Capsules is a vitamin A-derived synthetic retinoid used in severe nodular recalcitrant acne that has not reacted to other therapies. Each capsule contains 40 mg of Isotretinoin as its active ingredient.
Drug = Isotretinoin
Strength = 40 mg
How to take
Taken in between a meal or immediately after. Swallow it as a whole with a glass of water. Do not divide or chew the capsule.
It is best to take the capsule at the same time each day to avoid missing a dose.
Take no more than the prescribed dose. May discontinue use after the desired effect is achieved or as advised by the doctor..
Dosage of Isotretinoin (Accufine 40) 40 mg Capsules
Adult: Initially started on a dose of 0.5 mg/kg day in one or two divided doses. The dose is gradually increased to 1 mg/kg day if necessary. The usual duration of treatment is 16-24 weeks.Treatment course may be repeated after 8 weeks if the condition recurs.
Missed Dose of Isotretinoin (Accufine 40) 40 mg Capsules
In case of a missed dose, take it as soon as you remember. If in some cases, the missed dose is taken several minutes from the daily dose, DO NOT take the additional capsule. Return to the usual schedule of taking them the next day.
Under any circumstances, do not take double the dose.
Overdose of Isotretinoin (Accufine 40) 40 mg Capsules
If you have taken Isotretinoin more than the prescribed dose. Inform your physician immediately and do not delay seeking help.
Symptoms of overdose include the following:
- Facial flushing
- Cheilosis (excessive drying of both corners of the mouth)
- Abdominal pain
- Ataxia (difficulty in walking or ambulation)
- Major congenital malformations (in cases of individuals who took isotretinoin not knowing they are pregnant)
- Spontaneous abortion
- Premature births
Individuals with any of the following medical conditions are strongly discouraged from taking Isotretinoin:
- Hypervitaminosis A (excessive amounts of Vitamin A in the body, manifested by cracking of the fingernails, loss of appetite and bone pain)
- Hyperlipidemia (increased levels of cholesterol in the blood)
- Hepatic impairment
Side Effects of Isotretinoin (Accufine 40) 40 mg Capsules
Side effects of Isotretinoin include:
- Erythema (redness of the facial area)
- Skin peeling
- Stinging sensation
- Pruritus (itchiness)
- Dry skin
- Hirsutism (presence of unwanted hairs especially noted on the facial area and common among women)
- Sensitivity to light
- Skin pigmentation (appears as patches of uneven skin tone)
- Paronychia (infection of the nails, commonly seen in the corners of the skin that comes in contact with the nails)
- Nail dystrophy
- Pyogenic granuloma (appearance of a reddish mass that gradually enlarge over a period of days to weeks and bleeds easily since it is made up of a friable tissue with a thin stalk)
- Increased sweating
- Visual disturbances
- Gastrointestinal discomfort (nausea, vomiting)
- Muscle and joint pains
- Elevation of serum triglycerides, liver function test, erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and blood glucose
- Mood swings
Potentially Fatal side effects:
- Hemorrhagic pancreatitis ( severe abdominal pain located on the left upper quadrant radiating to the back with abnormalities in bleeding parameters, blood sugar levels)
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome (appears as a rash that spreads to almost all parts of the body, most commonly seen in drug allergies)
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis (same appearance of the rash as the SJS but more generalized and affects more than 10% of the body)
Do not take Isotretinoin with any of the following medicines:
- Vitamin A or its derivatives
- Microdosed progesterone
- Anti-acne agents
- Benzoyl peroxide
Potentially Fatal effects when combined with:
Inform your doctor and pharmacist if you are taking any other medications such as Chinese herbal tonics, vitamin supplements and over the counter drugs.
This list does not include all medicines that may interact with Isotretinoin.
How Does It Work?
Isotretinoin produces its effects by reducing the size of sebum ducts and sebum production, thereby preventing the blockage of pores and the growth of acne-causing bacteria. It regulates the cell proliferation and differentiation and apoptosis. It also strengthens the immune system to minimize inflammation and improves monocyte chemotaxis.
Isotretinoin is used to treat the following conditions:
Special Precautions and Warnings
Take special precautions if you have the following conditions:
- Women of childbearing potential
- Anorexia nervosa
- History of photoallergy
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Increased alcohol intake
- Genetic predisposition for age-related osteoporosis
- History of childhood osteoporosis
- Osteomalacia or other bone metabolism disorders
- Not intended for the treatment of prepubertal acne
- Severe renal impairment
- Store between temperatures 20-25°C, protected from light, away from the direct heat of the sun
- Store in a cool, dry place away from the reach of children.
- Do not use Isotretinoin after the expiry date indicated on the package